[Blindmath] mathematica and laTex

Alastair Irving alastair.irving at sjc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 20 16:54:39 UTC 2010

Hi

1. Its several years since I used mathematica.  I believe it has a
commandline interface which should be accessible with most
screenreaders, and the normal interface can be made to give output in
the same format as input, (so matrices are written as a list of lists
rather than in 2-dimentions).

2. LaTeX is readable as it is just a plain text file.  as a couple of
other people have commented, if you use the LaTeX-access scripts then
much of the mathematical notation will be read in a more human friendly
way and sent to a Braille display in Nemeth.  LaTeX-access also allows
you to highlight a matrix in LaTeX and have it loaded into memory, you
can then virtually navigate it and read specific rows and columns, etc.
  I think  LaTeX-access makes LaTeX considerably easier, (although I am
the author of it so am maybe biased).

The simplest way to get started with LaTeX-access is to install Edsharp
and use it as you're editor.  However, the version with Edsharp is now
quite old so if you will be using it a lot it would be worth while to
install the latest version from SVN.

Please feel free to contact me off list if I can be of assistance
setting up LaTeX-access.

HTH

Alastair Irving