[Blindmath] hydraulic full screen braille display

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 20:28:59 UTC 2010

I agree to the extent that there is sometimes not a choice, but with
technology evolving the way it is, it is becoming posssible to get books
translated into speech, daisy and braille at a very fast rateIt therefore
may become common to get textbooks on time...
.  As for not expecting to do things the way the sighted person does it,
like it or not, your teacher is probably sighted and may find it difficult
to serialize the material the way you need it.
You can learn LaTeX and exchange material that way, but much math is taught
visually.  It helps to have a tactile representation of what is going on.
And equations with limits and integrals and large fractions and matrices and
other grouping symbols that enclose vertical columns of numbers are easier
when they are written out spatially.  If you have a picture in your mind
what it looks like it is easier to read the braille, but this is why I like
the DotsPlus approach -- it won't work on a display, but it does emboss
equations out spatially with tactile graphics for the more spatial symbols.
That way you feel the equations the way the class is learning them and can
bypass the awkwardness of building up a picture in your mind.
A plug for DotsPlus. Perhaps some would disagree.
Embossers are almost as expensive as braille displays.
Happy calculating.
--le