[Blindmath] new to list with a question

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 24 23:20:26 UTC 2010

Hi Diz,

First let me compliment you on such a thorough and wonderful explanation of
the many problems that arise when attempting to convert some sort of typeset
mathematics intended to be read by a sighted person to Nemeth braille.

First I'd like to say that here in the US there are upwards of several
hundred sighted certified Nemeth transcribers who can look at print math and
enter correct Nemeth braille about as fast as they can type.  This should
not be surprising as you are likely familiar with one of the numerous
sighted mathematicians, etc. who can look at print math and enter the LaTeX
equivalent about as fast as they can type.  (LaTex is considerably more
cumbersome than Nemeth.) Of course, since almost no one in the UK uses
Nemeth braille, it is not surprising that you don't find Nemeth transcribers
on your side of the pond.

Our National Braille Association maintains a set of Forums where
transcribers can ask questions about braille transcribing issues.  Here is
the main page:
http://www.nationalbraille.org/Forum/
The Forum titled Mathematics, Science, and Computer Notation is the one for
Nemeth in particular.

You wrote that Nemeth Braille is "really hard" for you to write.  I'm not
sure what you meant.  I would certainly expect it would be hard for you to
directly enter braille using a mechanical embosser or braille slate or even
an electronic braille keyboard.  However, if you use the North American
ASCII Braille transliteration for the braille cells, it is quite easy to
type Nemeth from a standard keyboard as much of this particular
transliteration is based on Nemeth.  (You can change to Duxbury's SimBraille
font or any other font that based on the same transliteration to see the
black ink dots.)  I don't mean to imply that you could easily get all of
Nemeth correct with this strategy but you should be able to do quite well in
a circumscribed area although, as you hint, perhaps not logic.  Here's an
article I wrote about this:
http://www.dotlessbraille.org/readnem.htm

Cheers,
SusanJ