[Blindmath] Two questions for those who use R

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 18:46:32 UTC 2010

Hi

It’s getting late and I need to sleep, but couldn’t resist this one.
Faiz, I assume that the SPSS option did not work out, so you are back to R?

To answer your questions with a bit of overlapping on what Christine has already mentioned:

1.	R output can be sent to a text file using sink()
Here is the code you would use. Note that in this case, I have not specified the path to my file so R will by default save it in the "My Documents" folder. Note also that I have used the symbol “#” to enter comments into my code. I’m only doing this to explain the process.

# Open the connection
sink("sink-Test.txt")

# Enter something
x <- c(1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
mean(x)

# End the connection
sink()

Remember that if you don’t understand how a function works, you can always query R by typing a question mark before the function name on the R terminal.
So in this case, do check out ?sink() and ?capture.output

2.	Yes, you can explore the R terminal using the Jaws cursor, but a more efficient way would be to use what is called an Invisible cursor under Jaws. For those who use NVDA, this is also known as the Review cursor and in both screen readers, its function is to explore command line interfaces under Windows. The Invisible cursor can be activated using Jaws key + P pressed twice quickly. This is under the laptop layout. For more information, you should read the Jaws documentation on cursors. For other screen readers, similar cursors exist that let you navigate the command line window.

Regards