[Blindmath] Off topic: Seeking ideas to measure computerliteracyamong Blind students of a Pakistani University.

Debbie Willis dwillis at aph.org
Fri Nov 12 17:21:45 UTC 2010

Hi, Faiz-
No, I am not at a university. I work for the American Printing House for the Blind in the Accessible Tests Department. In the U.S., assistive technology and providing access to instruction and assessment materials is a huge goal. Because assistive technology enables access to the internet, email, and opens up all sorts of possibilities for learning and communication for students who are blind and visually impaired, it could be that students with visual impairments are more computer literate and more likely to be using technological devices than sighted students are.

In the U.S., we are struggling with some major issues with regard to accessibility, i.e. access to graphics-based information, access to standardized tests (because our Chafee Amendment only allows copies of textbooks and literary works; it does not provide permission for accessible copies of secure test/assessment materials, adoption of standard file format/s that enable a print material to be provided in various accessible media, development of instructional materials to teach students who are blind to effectively read/interpret tactile graphics, and more.

Good Luck with your research project!
Debbie