[Blindmath] psychology statistical diagrams

Bernard M Diaz b.m.diaz at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 15:18:33 UTC 2010

Hi Mike,

Fusers are standard equipment, used for example at Liverpool University
to generate tactile versions of lecture material, exam paper diagrams,
and in discussions with students to help "illustrate" design issues
aided by the diagrams (e.g. in computer science, discussion based
around the use of UML diagrams).

I believe that where-ever diagram material is a key issue (note
not images) then swell paper technology, is quick, easy, quiet,
cost effective and a highly functional additional communication
methodology, that is indispensable when teaching blind students.

Other, more expensive solutions (e.g. braille dot type systems)
require training and preparation.  In contrast, it takes a few
moments to show teachers how to use swell-paper technology
(OK it can be used more effectively after more extensive training)
but in the group teaching environment, speed and functionality
given a minority of blind, is a key issue.  Swell paper fits that
bill perfectly

I recommend that where-ever there are blind, and diagram based
teaching is to be given, then a Zyfuse type system is located there
and teachers and other students that interact with the blind also
shown how to use it.

In my experience, this is material produced for blind students
and is already fused. It would be possible to circulate unfused
(pre-printed) sheets that the student fused. However, I would
guess this would be unsatisfactory - how would the blind student
know that it has fused completely and correctly? And then there
is a safety concern; fusers run at high temperatures that in
unsuitable environments might possibly cause a fire hazard.

It might be, that the printed sheets were given to the student
and the student expected to transfer this to swell paper and
then fuse that.  I believe this approach neglects a teachers
responsibility to deliver accessible material, and is not a
good idea.

Finally, I am uncertain (for safety and other reasons) whether
a blind student should be expected to operate a fuser.  It is
clear they can, but whether that is sensible, depends on the
student, the nature of fuser and technology, and the overall
environment in which the technology is to be used.

I would guess that if you are being taught using SPSS diagrams
(for example to comment on distributions, etc) or expected to
generate them, then swell paper technology is a sine qua non
that universities must provide. How they do it is then merely
an operational and budget issue.

Kind regards - Bernard Diaz
(Computer Science, University of Liverpool)