[Blindmath] psychology statistical diagrams

Bernard M Diaz b.m.diaz at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 17:59:33 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've experience of generating only one diagram that NEEDED
3D - a plane embedded in 3D; that is a "surface"; and yes used
the Tiger system.  It took about 2 days playing to get a
not too successful result, which we did not use in the end!

I'm clearly not very good at this sort of thing, it needs
an artistic (I think that's the best word) flourish which
I guess I don't have.  And I guess, my knowledge of 3D use
is limited too ...
I'm sorry I've not looked at economic stuff, trends, and
time series stuff - which I suspect could all benefit
from the 3D aspect you suggest.  I suspect, for each, it
would be useful to know the approach chosen - if anyone
attempts to do (or has done it) please do share your
findings.

Simple "images" (essentially phtographic stuff rendered
into "tonal pictures") e.g. most of the Tiger examples
I've looked at: flowers parts, coloured country diagrams,
digestive systems, most maps - all work well. Where there
is an attempt to get tonal representation to mimic depth
cueing - what I've done suggests: a) its hard, and b) not
too successful at getting over what is intended.  But, as
I say, perhaps I'm not thinking about this in the correct
way - and would appreciate pointers.

A final note.  Many staff use Powerpoint. Where a diagram
is involved I suggest that they copy the "slide" then
edit that to remove all but the diagram.  Enlarge that
so that it fuses correctly ("touchably" .... is that the
correct word? This also involves thinking about any
colour coding used) and provide in the "notes" section
for that slide a textual description of the diagram using
the language guideline mentioned before.  Then, those
slides are "hidden" with a note that they are for
"accessibility purposes".  The idea is that the student
(or teacher) can fuse the diagram (slide object); Jaws
the notes section (notes object) while "touching" the
fused version, and have Jaws read any text on the slide
proper as well. Now this sounds horrendously complicated,
and it is, but works - sort of; providing the student is
keen, bright, and can hear and touch ... all big requirements
and probably not truly generic.  Ideally, if a suitable
description language were used (for the 2D diagrams) and
one that works for us is the old "pic" language (not
tried the latex equivalents) from Unix, then that might
be an alternative way forward ...
Of course having Powerpoint provide me with "a swiper" to
convert text to Braille dots (Nemeth for maths even?) that
we could paste onto the slide would be wonderful - but that
does not exist as yet (except as a separate tool - I believe).
The last nice thing would be for this to be done automatically
whenever "diagram material" was detected in Powerpoint
an "accessibilty switch" perhaps?

Kind regards - Bernard Diaz.