[Blindmath] psychology statistical diagrams

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Mon Oct 25 19:15:11 UTC 2010

As a totally blind electronics engineer who got his bachelor's degree in the 1960's, I think that getting an understanding of three-dimensional concepts from two-dimensional drawings has severe limitations.  Is this an isometric or perspective projection?  From what distance is the "object" being viewed?

Talk to the people in the math department who study topology.  Do they ever make solid models of the shapes they are describing algebraically?  Note that the solution to the problem of everting a sphere (turning it inside out) was first proposed by a French blind mathematician.  He visualized what sighted people were unable to visualize.

Talk to people in mechanical engineering or industrial design departments about stereolithography or 3D printing, where numerically controlled machines are used to create solid models (quite expensively and slowly).

Going these routes will not get you all the drawings your textbooks use, but they should get you enough information and examples so that you understand the concepts, in some cases more correctly than sighted students will from the limited viewpoint of paper and blackboards.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.