[Blindmath] psychology statistical diagrams

Bernard M Diaz b.m.diaz at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 15:45:13 UTC 2010

Hi Sean,

And all noted.  We abandoned my attempt at a surface for exactly
the reason you say - it took longer to explain the poor model,
than to understand the notion of a surface embedded in 3-space.

How much is this a subject thing? Spotting trends is one thing,
but seeing a pattern, say sequences of sine curves, or a normal
distribution surface? (Poor examples, for which, apologies ...)

In computer science, the notion of diagrams seems to be most
frequently tied to the "design" idea.   Thus spatial layout
equates design.  The true 3D nature of a branching tree, say,
is lost in the layering that is deemed more important when
understanding "breadth first traversal" of the tree structure,
etc.

Regards - Bernard Diaz