[Blindmath] Software to produce tactile diagrams for Geometry?

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 29 17:37:30 UTC 2010

Producing multiple tactile diagrams for teaching materials is a separate
problem from the need for a student to produce diagrams for a teacher.

As for the student who prefers Wiki Stix, I would think that swell paper
would also work.  Has this been tried?  It's much faster than Wiki Stix.

I have a question for the people on this list.  Do you think it would be
useful for students who need to read tactile diagrams to have specialized
training prior to taking a course like geometry? It's hard to tell from the
question whether the student could eventually learn to understand the
diagrams in the book or not.  The problem could simply be that they've been
poorly done.

I note that the newest Viewplus EmFuse embosser has eight different dot
heights.  Also the Viewplus embossers can put dots anywhere, they are not
confined to the normal location of the dots in braille cells. If a student
could learn to read properly embossed tactile graphics, it opens up the
possibility of automation.  There are many applications that generate
diagrams in the form of standard SVG files which can be recognized by the
EmFuse.

SusanJ