[Blindmath] Performing Linear Regressions with Excel

shane-blindmath at csy.ca shane-blindmath at csy.ca
Sat Oct 30 06:21:17 UTC 2010

Hi Tina,

To do this with the analysis toolpack, you need to have it installed. Office
menu, options, addins, go, and make sure data analysis is checked. Should
only need to do that once.

Then, setup a worksheet with x and y values: For example, here is 2x+3:

1

5

2

7

3

9

4

11

5

13

6

15

7

17

8

19

9

21

10

23

So you have your data input, go to the data ribbon, choose data analysis
then regression from the choices. In y value range, specify b2:b11 if using
the table above or whatever range you have and a2:a11 for your x range. Hit
ok and a new worksheet gets created with the regression statistics. There is
quite a bit here including the r2 value which is an indication of fit.
Toward the bottom of the created sheet though you will find your
coefficients. In my example above, the intercept is in b17 and the slope (x
variable 1) is in b18.

Hope this helps,

Shane