[Blindmath] Performing Linear Regressions with Excel

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 17:42:40 UTC 2010

Hi Tina,

Looks like your teacher has asked for a plot showing linear relationship along with the regression equation, and not the actual regression analysis.

Unfortunately, I work with Office 2007, so I can only give you general points.
There are 2 ways of drawing a plot that you want in Excel.

1.	By ticking the checkbox for the option “Line Fit Plot” in the dialog box for setting up your regression analysis. I believe that the process for reaching that dialog box has already been described.
2.	By choosing the option for a scatter chart from the Insert menu.

Note that in both cases, what you’ll get is a scatter graph showing pairs of values.
But I believe that using the first option gives you a scatter plot with 2 series- one for your actual Y and one for your predicted Y, which may or may not be what you need.

There is more to it than just getting the plot on the spreadsheet; you also have to add a trendline, not to mention displaying the regression equation (Y = alpha + beta X) on the plot itself.
Since I remember nothing about these options from Excel 2003, I’m going to point you to an article.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/add-a-trendline-to-a-chart-HP005198462.aspx

Regards
Roopakshi