[Blindmath] AP Statistics

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 18:09:17 UTC 2010

Hi Sean,

Is it possible for you to generate the common statistical distributions in Excel and then emboss it in Braille?
I use the Excel tables with my screen reader. There are also accessible online tables such as those found here.
http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/

Not getting into the philosophical issues raised by the phenomena called over-compensation by the blind, there are also online resources for statistics. Provided that your student can comprehend MathML or TeX, the student can always navigate to a website providing Statistics material in an accessible format, and then take notes in Braille.

As John said, once publishers adopt the ePub format for producing books with mathematical content, it will to some extent level the playing field.

There are also some efforts for making Math accessible within PDF documents. The PDF/UA committee is suppose to be doing something in this regard.
http://pdf.editme.com/PDFUA

Regards