[Blindmath] mathplayer, jaws, and math in graphics?

Trevor Saunders trev.saunders at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 21:25:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 03:55:26PM -0500, Kevin Chao wrote:
> HI -Birkir,
>
> So, MathPlayer is translator for MathML, which allows it to be
> presented in a friendly format? What makes it so that sighted users

basically yes

> can use just a browser, while screen reader users need things like
> MathPlayer? Will there be a time, where MathPlayer data entry/edit

afaik there is no browser that provides the information to screen
readers that they would need to effectively present mathml.

> What  can Mozilla do to increase math accessibility?

well, Gecko should provide the information screen readers need to
present the mathml content.

> I've set up miTeX . Looks like I should grab TexCen Center  and set
> that up as well?

I've never used LaTex on windows, but I believe that is a popular way to
edit LaTex on windows.

> NVAccess is more than interested in receiving contribution, working
> towards math accessibility, but like to know best way for screen
> reader to read math (basic and advanced).  What would be best things
> to propose for NvAccess to include in NVDA?

well, once  browsers make the required information available through
accessibility API's nvda should make use of that information to present
mathml well.

Trev