[Blindmath] mathplayer, jaws, and math in graphics?

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Sun Apr 3 22:13:02 UTC 2011

Hello All.  With Dr. Stacy's permission, I have abstracted this insight
about Latex and MathML roles into a short note on http://Access2Science.com
Inspired by the string of questions today, I have also written up another
QuickNote - on choices for accessible authoring of math.  Hope these procide
useful insights.

But these still don't answer all the questions that are appearing.  So let
me say just a few more words.  First of all, MathPlayer is not written for
blind people.  It is aplug-in that makes Internet Explorer display MathML.
Until recently it was not possible for authors to use MathML and expect
everybody to view it, because IE and possibly other web browsers just didn't
show it without special plug-ins.  Which of course not everybody has.
MathPlayer was made accessible by the nice people at Design Science, and it
is still the only way to get access to MathML in general.

Note that MathJAX is now being used to display MathML in any web browsers,
so the use of MathML is increasing rapidly.  However MathJAX presently
doesn't make math accessible, but maybe it will someday soon, so that you'll
be able to read math in any web browser.

Second note.  ChattyInfty does indeed provide a Latex dump, but it has a
very nice speech math output too.