[Blindmath] Wanted: Examples of good articulation of mathematical expressions

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Thu Apr 14 20:25:06 UTC 2011

I want to correct one small misstatement with respect to MathPlayer's
speech:  MathPlayer 2.x has it's own paradigm for speech and is not
based on Nemeth's/gh's MathSpeak.  MathPlayer 3.0 has lots of new
functionality and does what I've wanted to do for years -- it will
speak differently depending on the target audience.  As Birkir
mentioned, what works for someone who is "fluent" in Nemeth may not be
good for someone who uses UEB and is almost certainly bad for someone
with dyslexia.

MathPlayer 3 does support MathSpeak, but it also supports other ways
of speaking math including a re-tooling of it's current speech style.
I've been working with another group to define yet another speech
style that they feel best fits their target audience.

I think it is very important that you declare who the target audience
is, both in terms of level of math sophistication and in terms of
their disability/needs.  One size does NOT fit all!

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~