[Blindmath] Thank you for responses relating to speech text

J.Fine j.fine at open.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 13:00:55 UTC 2011

Hi

Thank you, all, for your responses to my questions and request for help.  I've already learnt a great deal, and I'm still digesting.  If I had to have one conclusion, it would be that only by knowing how the practices and needs of the intended users can one handle well the many details.  Here are some examples:

EndFraction (single word) is easier to tab through than two words.

Sub and sup sound similar, so instead use sub and super.

Ambiguity is less damaging if the user can arrow through the formula text to clarify.

My second conclusion would be that the different systems (such as Nemeth's MathSpeak, Raman's Aster, MathPlayer, Unified English Braille and LaTeX notation) arose from specific circumstances and needs.

If I have time, which is unlikely, I'd like to combine your comments into a single document.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Jonathan