[Blindmath] Powerpoint question

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Aug 17 01:42:36 UTC 2011

Hello Ryan et al.,

I've used an add-in for power point in the past called TexPoint which allows
two forms of input which both use LaTeX.

The simple Greek letters and single characters could be inserted by typing
the single LaTeX code. \alpha, \beta etc. This does not work for square
roots and the like however.

A separate equation box was needed for anything that could not be generated
from a simple look up table. In statistics I use an x with a bar on top of
it quite often for example.

The problem with manipulating objects in power point then gave me grief. On
top of this, TexPoint as I obtained it is no longer freely available.

Another alternative does exist, but some expenditure on MathType will be
required.

Now that I know I can create MathType objects by entering LaTeX I do have a
solution, but my investigation today suggests my installation of power point
and MathType 6 will not let me use the LaTeX entry method in power point.
This just means entering the material in word and cutting and pasting a bit.
Certainly the MathType based versions of objects means I can enter an x-bar
in the right place without having multiple power point objects flying
around.

Ultimately, my suggestion is to use MathType 6, with LaTeX entry to create
the necessary equations/elements. Whether you do this in word or power point
may depend on your version of power point, but I suspect the different
behaviour is a MathType feature rather than a power point one.

Jonathan