[Blindmath] Question about doing math in notepad

Ben Humphreys brh at opticinspiration.org
Mon Aug 22 09:46:20 UTC 2011

Dear Daria,

Given the lateness of the hour, many of the solutions proposed are
not going to work very well for you right away.

If you're comfortable with Notepad and can enlist the cooperation of
your instructur, I'd like to propose a "home-grown" "quick-and-dirty"
solution which will buy you some time.  Here is what I was thinking:

1.  Type your equations in notepad
2.  Replace x squared with x^2, x-cubed with x^3, etc.
3.  Replace square root sign with sqrt
4.  Use parenthesis to clarify what sqrt is referring to
5.  Usethe following characters for your operators: < > <= >= = and
<> as you would in a programming language
6. Use the greek words instead of the symbols, so "pi" instead of
trying to insert a pie symbol.
6.  And here's the interesting part: Add a series of dictionary
definitions for Notepad (using JAWS Ins+D command) for the above.  For example:

"^2" becomes "squared"
"^3" becomes "cubed"
"^4" becomes "to the 4th power"
"<>" becomes "is not equal to"
"<=" becomes "less than or equal to"
"sqrt" becomes "the square root of"
"-" becomes "minus" (instead of the usual "dash")

This way, when you have JAWS speak the current line, it will read it
like a human would.
7.  Another way to keep things clear is to insert a new line in
strategic places such as after an equal sign.  For example:

x^2 + 4 = 2x - 7

would be easier to read as

x^2 + 4
=
2x - 7
8.  For division, I'd put the numerator on the first line, the
characters "---" on the 2nd line and the denominator on the
third.  Further, I'd setup a dictionary definition for "---" to say
"divided by"

If you and your instructor could agree on a small number of rules
like this, you could easily exchange homework assignments and tests
in this way without any conversion necessary.  Just use a small
travel printer to print in class or e-mail via wifi.

This approach will buy you some time and allow you to develop an
appreciation for the more sophisticated solutions.And if you don't
plan to spend any more time than necessary in a math class of the
future, then it's probably "good enough."

Ben