[Blindmath] MathType Question

Andrew Cioffi acioffi at suffolk.edu
Fri Aug 26 12:54:16 UTC 2011

Hi Kate,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but MathType has the ability to take information inputted on a tablet and convert it into a "mathtype" equation.  There is a quick overview of that feature found at this link: http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/popup_mip.htm

I am wondering if this is at minimum a less tedious way of getting his problems into Mathtype for the teacher (or whoever would be preparing his materials).

I guess there are a few important factors that would help.  I am assuming that your student is low vision.  How is your student "working the problems"?  Might the student have the ability to hand write some of the steps on something like a wacom tablet?  It works with a mouse as well, but I would imagine that to be fairly difficult for the number of problems that you student would need to get through.

We are looking into using this feature now and can report back on what we find.  Any folks have experience using this feature that might be able to offer a little more insight?

Andrew

Andrew Cioffi
Suffolk University