[Blindmath] Making Mathtype documents in Word accessible

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Sat Dec 3 06:18:02 UTC 2011

Yes, you can easily (with help from a sighted colleague the first time
around) create web pages from word documents that read well.  For
instructions see:
http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathplayer/tsn/tsn112.htm#Speaking_Math_Using_MathPlayer

The problem with IE9 and MathPlayer involves XHTML pages.  The page you
looked at was an HTML page (not XHTML).  If you have IE9 installed, then
when you follow those instructions, make sure you choose "MathPlayer (IE
behavior)" in step 8d.  Normally I tell people to choose "XHTML+MathML"
because that also displays in Firefox and some other browsers, but because
of the current IE9 problem, stick to "MathPlayer (IE behavior)" which
produces an HTML page.

It might be simplest for your instructor to follow those steps and have
him/her send you the web page -- it will only take a minute extra to do
that.

Good luck,

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~