[Blindmath] UEB again (was Braille code urgency)

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat Dec 3 23:22:38 UTC 2011

Hello Susan,
As I seem to remember that you sent a message saying that UEB has been adopted here in the UK (I have to say most of my Braille reading is done via a Braille display and most of any paper Braille is normally not maths related so I am slightly detached from what is the official Braille code at the moment), could you send me some information on what UEB is. You cite numbers as being an issue, I didn't quite understand what you meant there, do you mean the use of a number sign? If you did mean about the number sign, well all I can say is that standard BAUK has served me fine in the past with its number sign, possibly the suggestion that it could be confusing almost seems insulting to me (it wasn't confusing).

May be those who argue against UEB could put together a few examples which highlight where the issues lie. It possibly would be interesting to see responses also from the non-Nemeth direction.

Michael Whapples