[Blindmath] UEB again (was Braille code urgency)

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 4 18:41:50 UTC 2011

Steve, I agree Braille has to modernize and take into account changes in print.  Luckily there has been very little change to the typeset representation of print which is well-reflected in how Nemeth represents math expressions.  So as far as math is concerned, Nemeth is clearly more print-like than UEB.

Sina, when I first learned of the use of letters as numbers in UEB I researched the historical development of how digits are represented.  It seemed pretty clear that advances in mathematics occurred when numbers were given unique representations.  I no longer have my notes on that research but it seems plausible that there is a relationship between understanding and representation.

UKAAF, which has just adopted UEB, quotes an average increase of 21% in the length of math expressions over BAUK.  They don't say how they determined this.

SusanJ