[Blindmath] Making Mathtype documents in Word accessible

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sat Dec 3 23:38:10 UTC 2011

Hello,
One thing I would question of how it would work, if NVDA were to produce Braille from MathML, how would cursoring work? Currently as one cursors they move through the words of the speech, as Braille shows that it can match the cursor position. If using liblouisxml then Braille is coming from a different source (the original MathML rather than the text which is used for speech (I think what NVDA finds from MSAA). So even if liblouisxml can synchronise the cursor between MathML and Braille (not sure either way on this) it would still be stuck about synchronising it with the speech/MSAA words. Also when cursoring, which would you be cursoring through (eg. one press of the cursor relates to a Braille cell or does it relate to something in speech or may be best something to do with the maths and probably found from the original MathML).

May be a different approach, however needing support from MathPlayer, may be there should be a simple character based notation (eg. like triangle or lambda). The only thing I wonder about is whether it would be possible to get good speech and Braille from such a notation. I would guess the Braille would be possible as its character based you could probably even do it in liblouis (so not requiring NVDA to depend on liblouisxml as well).

Finally, yes I feel that as you say NVDA is probably the best hope and also if NVDA can offer things above commercial offerings then it might make them sit up and listen.

Michael Whapples
On 3 Dec 2011, at 22:02, Birkir R. Gunnarsson wrote:

> [...]
> MathPlayer reads the math questions concurrently to you, I think that
> would be a fantastic scenario.
> I believe this is nearly impossible with other screen readers, since
> we'd have to beg them to do it, and convincing these manufacturers to
> put development efforst into math has not been particularly successful
> (though I am by no means suggesting we should stop pestering them,
> those of us who do, but if we can get together and make a superior
> solution via free and open source software, it might jolt them into
> life).
>
> I am also hopeful that the EPUB3 support and rendering of MathML may
> cause a revolution in math accessibility, if we can harness it, it's
> just a bit too early for me to understand exactly how this works, and
> it depends how those who manufacture devices compatible with EPUB3
> implement the MathML part of the specs.
> But, that's way off topic and subject for its own discussion. I just
> wanted to point out the 4 different uses of Word with MathType, in
> hope it may clarify some things for some of you.
> And if I am wrong, or missing something and need a clarification
> myself, then by all means, post it to this list and it will be duely
> noted.
>

> On 12/3/11, Neil Soiffer <NeilS at dessci.com> wrote:
>> Yes, it is horrible.  There is a feature request to improve it and that is
>> being looked at for MathType 6.8, but no decision has been made yet as to
>> whether it will make it into 6.8 (there are lots of competing requests).
>>
>> Neil Soiffer
>> Senior Scientist
>> Design Science, Inc.
>> www.dessci.com
>> ~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Andrew Stacey
>> <andrew.stacey at math.ntnu.no>wrote:
>>
>>> The first thing that I want to say is that is the most awful LaTeX that I
>>> have
>>> ever seen!  If that is what the process produces as it's LaTeX "output"
>>> then
>>> I'm not surprised that you are looking for another system.
>>>
>>> That said, this does look like the sort of thing where my system might be
>>> able
>>> to help as the idea behind it is to convert LaTeX to "something else" by
>>> using
>>> LaTeX itself to do the conversion.  So all that would need doing is for
>>> someone to tell LaTeX that you want, say, \int to be written as "Integral"
>>> and
>>> then you could run LaTeX on the equations to convert them to something
>>> suitable.
>>>
>>> This would take a bit of work to get to work properly, though, as, for
>>> example, LaTeX likes to run on whole documents, not snippets.  Also, it
>>> would
>>> need considerable configuring at the start.
>>>
>>> As Neil's suggested another way that is working for you then I don't
>>> this.  I mention it in case there are others for whom Neil's method
>>> wouldn't