[Blindmath] UEB again (was Braille code urgency)

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Dec 5 00:25:29 UTC 2011

Hello,
I do wonder that as well, I slightly question the need for stacks of paper Braille which gets shipped about and that may be electronic transfer of documents with local translation may be better. Another side affect of that would be that size/bulk of Braille is not such an issue, if I need chapter x from book Y, I can have just chapter X rather than the whole of book Y. The only size issue would be on the impact on reading speed (eg. how fast I can read a Braille cell and whether by making it more compact I may be slowed if it were too complicated and needed to spend time working out the meaning).

Some questions though relating to implementing the different Braille codes in liblouis. Was it harder to do BAUK and Marburg because of the actual code? Was the difficulty possibly that you may be more familiar with Nemeth? Would extra help from experts in the other Braille codes have helped you and made it easier? Finally from what I know you implemented the Nemeth support first, could it have been that as you did Nemeth first you possibly did things in liblouis which slightly favoured Nemeth and so when adding a different code you had to work with something which may have been slightly suboptimal for the other codes?

Michael Whapples