[Blindmath] Math Production Question

George Bell george at techno-vision.co.uk
Thu Dec 22 18:47:56 UTC 2011

Hi James,

You've asked a heck of a lot in a short space.

If we leave diagrams aside for a moment, various output formats from
Large Print to Braille can be done using INFTY to scan if needs be.
You save the scan as an XML file, whereupon it can be brought into
Word 2007 or 2010

It's an easy job then to convert what will be Word's Math objects into
MathType objects using MathType to do this.

You are then ready to do any corrections and editing, paying
particular attention to the Word Styles used.

When you have a decent Word file, again it's a relatively easy
operation, if required, to convert the whole document, including the
math object into Large Print, although you will need to review the
enlargement and possible edit where appropriate.

The very same original file may then be simply brought into Duxbury
11.1 for conversion to Braille, but here you do need to carefully
proof read the braille.

Gain with the same original Word file, you can prepare for DAISY.

Graphics are a different matter, and there are many who are
experienced in this field here.  I will add that I'm currently testing
out a Phoenix graphics and braille embosser, but it is too early to
report progress.

Scientific Notebook is possible something to consider later but so far
in our school system, it's not proved to be required.  Perhaps when we
advance to University level we will need it, but there are few enough
doing decent math at the school level.

We're also looking at how we may obtain speech output from the Word
file, and will be tackling that in the New Year.

All the best, and Seasons Greetings,

George.