[Blindmath] JAWS and Nemeth - Newbie question

Kodeswaran, Balaji bkodeswaran at air.org
Thu Feb 17 16:52:43 UTC 2011

Hello,

We are working on building websites that students (K-12) would use for taking tests. One of our requirements is to be able to deliver simple math expressions in Nemeth to students using refreshable Braille displays. Our users primarily use Firefox as the web browser and JAWS as the screen reader.

1. Is there a way for JAWS to render Nemeth to a refreshable Braille display. We have control over our web site so we can embed the math expression as MathML, Latex etc - whatever JAWS can understand

2. If JAWS cannot translate to Nemeth on the fly, we can do the translation on our end (using DBT or liblouis) and embed on the page somewhere but we don't see how to get this to the RBD through JAWS

Any help or insights on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.