[Blindmath] JAWS and Nemeth - Newbie question

Birkir Rúnar Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 19:52:44 UTC 2011

I have not done much work with braille technology, but I would imagine
that braille support could be implemented in a way which allows
mapping from MathML to the specific braille code used. The Lambda
project did this and, I believe, with some success. At least they are
the editor of choice in much of central and eastern Europe.
The LibLouis library has also done some work in the area as well as
LaTeX mapping.

The specifics of the braille support may not be as important as just
creating the discussion and making A.T. vendors aware of the demand
and need for math braille support.
Just creating an active dialog about braille support for math and
science within screen readers would be a major step forward,
regardless of the actual implementation, which would be the next step.
I will hopefully post back this weekend with petition details. I am
getting in touch with the gentleman who collected the signatures for
the WayFinder petition, for ideas and advice on how best to do this. I
have met him a few times and I hope he can give me tips and tricks.
I will post those and then someone can take charge of the project. I´d
be happy to do this myself, but if Jose, or someone else, wants to
lead the way I´d be happy to let them take over. I just think it is
vital that we get together and express our concerns.
Thanks and good weekend to all.
-Birkir