[Blindmath] JAWS and Nemeth - Newbie question

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Feb 20 21:08:21 UTC 2011

Hello,
I realise the following may be a brave thing to say, possibly a
courageous thing to say, but I ask you read it all first before making a
comment.

As worded @screen reader vendors to add Nemeth support" I definitely
could not support or put my name to as its an excluding statement.
Nemeth is one standard, there are other Braille codes, so its excluding
to those who are in countries where the default Braille code taught is
not Nemeth. As someone who lives in the UK, brought up using BAUK, this
is why I could personally not support an exclusive call for Nemeth as it
would be irrelevant to me.

Now this is why I asked that you should read all I am going to say
before commenting. I am not calling for Nemeth not to be supported, but
rather the call should not be exclusively for Nemeth support. Accepted
supporting all Braille codes around the world may be a bit much, so a
call for the major standards to be supported and for it to be possible
for users to create additional tables so that others may create the
tables for the less common codes would be a far better wording which I
feel I could support.

Please carefully consider how you word it, try not to exclude people
from supporting something so important.

Michael Whapples