[Blindmath] JAWS and Nemeth - Newbie question

Birkir Rúnar Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 21:29:50 UTC 2011

Michael

I am definitely with you on this (and it was brought up somewhere
earlier in this monster thread too).
Duxbury DBT supports 4 major math translators, and the architecure of
the eventual suppurt should allow for implementation of different
braille codes. May be someone may have to volunteer time to do
mapping, testing and proofing for each code, but I am convinced that
people from here, and elsewhere, would be happy to devote time and
efforts to this.
I would word it something along the lines of "refreshable braille
support for math, along with improved speech support is highly
important".
There may be folks who just want LaTeX on their displays, and MathML
could be translated into LaTeX on the fly, and that is not to be
excluded as an option either.
I spoke with Tim, the gentleman who gathered signatures for the
WayFinder project.
He had to write his own code and set up his own web page to gather the
signtures (no other petition pages were accessible).
He may be willing to work on the code for the cause, or a small
payment, and appropriate it so it could be set up and used with other
petitions, such as this one.
Note, I am just looking at the cost and technical options. Once I know
we can do it and, approximately when, we can discuss  the text, the
technicalities, the pros and cons of doing this petition project on
this mailing list.
I hope though, that this can happen sooner rather than later.
I will keep everyone updated.
If someone is a PHP guru and feels happy writing code, may be they
could help out on this, the call is open.
I have very little time myself, unfrotunately, though it sounds like a
fun project.
-B