[Blindmath] Computer-supported math access

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 20 23:44:45 UTC 2011

Hi Michael,

There's actually been a lot of work on using the computer to support math
access.  I'd say this has been going on for at least 15 years.
Unfortunately, most of it doesn't seem to have made it out of academia.

There is a good overview in the paper "Mathematics and Accessibility.:
There is a link to a PDF version partway down this page.  I hope the paper
is accessible!
http://www.utdallas.edu/~gupta/

Dominique Archambault in France has also done a lot of work in this area.
Scroll down past the French to the sentence starting "The need for
accessibility is growing...." to read about some of his recent work.
http://chezdom.net/blog/?p=83#more-83

The topic you mention is addressed off and on at various conferences
including CSUN, ICCHP, and  ACM SIGACCESS ASSETS.

Hopefully some of the people directly involved in this research will
respond.

Susan