[Blindmath] Help with Math player

Birkir Rúnar Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 14:57:47 UTC 2011

Hello

I actually do work for MathPlayer and Design Science, so I can speak
to this a little bit.
Part of the problem has been the very slow adoption of the MathML
standard (the w3c standard used to display math on the web or in
eBooks).
Math has traditionally only been displayed in bitmap graphics and
there is nothing any screen reader can do with that.
We are hoping that MathML will become more widespread, both on the web
and in eBooks, and could become the stanard for exchanging accessible
math and STEM texts.
MathPlayer, currently, turns MathML expressions into spoken text, and
in future versions we would very much be looking at refreshable
braille output, for instance, by connecting with the Liblouis
libraries, because braille is essential to many math students who are
blind. We could also look at better speech navigation and speech
scheme customization and other cool user features (this is not a
promise, but this is definitely something we would look into). Other
possibilities include having MathPlayer work better with other
software, eBook readers, Word, other browsers, pdf (once it is better
standardized) etc.

But all that development is useless if the standard is not used, if
nobody requests the features from their screen reader vendors and if
online courses and eBooks do not use MathML but keep displaying math
in graphics.
We very much hope this year is a watershed moment, with the free
MathJax development, that makes authoring and displaying math in web
pages much easier, better, and supported in multiple browsers.
Also we think the convertion to eBooks provides a unique opportunity
for us to request more accessible math.

Currently you can read speech output of a page with MathML in it in IE
with MathPlayer installed (it is freeware).
If you have MathType you can open a Word document with MathML in it
and read it two ways:
You can export it as MathPage and then read it with IE and MathPlayer
or you can select the entire text and press alt-backslash, which turns
all MathML objects in the document to LaTeX code.

You can, furthermore, emboss the MathMl document into text with Nemeth
if you have the TSS software from ViewPlus, or emboss it with Nemeth,
after transforming all MathML objects to LaTeX with DBT 10.7 and
above.

You can also enter equations in MathType in LaTeX mode and then press
alt-backslash to switch to MathML and display math in your document
that way.

We sure hope this is just the beginning. We need screen reader vendors
to work more closely with us to better display math and add braille
and other support, we need online learning platforms to start using
MathML for courses to make them instantly accessible, we need
publishers and alternative text producers to start using MathML as
standard in all documents (some alternative text producers do this
already, others are not quite there yet).
We need people who want more accessible math, to write the software
vendors they use and let them know this is important.
I certainly hope this does not really come of as advertizing, that is
not my intent though I joined DSI because I was excited for the
opportunity to improve math accessibility, but it is up to us users to
request better accessibility and standardization of math so that we
can start working with our science books instantly instead of waiting
for months while they are being manually transcribed, and the use of
non-proprietary standards can bring that about.
All that being said *grin*.
LaTeX manual can be found here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

and you can use the TexNic center for LaTeX editing (it will help
debug your code too).
There are a few tricks setting it up.
Under tools and options there are two choices that must be checked
"use classic inerface" and "optimize for screen reader users".
Theh you must create an output profile, which means linking to a LaTeX
compiler such as MiTeX.
If you require specific help feel free to email me off list.
I've been meaning to set up an accessible math tools web page for the
longest time, may be I better get around to it.
Hope any of this helps.
-Birkir