[Blindmath] Performing calculations as a blind students, tips, tricks and advice for the NFB Youth Slam

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 00:11:10 UTC 2011

Hey yea wise people.

I am giving a presentation to the NFB Youth Slam students next week on
math accessibility and issues to deal with in college.
There has been a lot of talk and a lot of resources on reading math,
and not insignificantly, to writing math as well.
However one thing I feel often gets lost in the mix is techniques for
actually performing calculations and working one's way through
equations in order to find a solution i.e. the calculation part
itself.
I have some experience of course, but I'd be curious to hear what
works for people around here, especially VI or blind folks who have
completed STEM degrees in college.
Did you use LaTeX, Nemeth or some other code to write your way through
each step in the process of solving your calculations?
If not, how did you do it?
Is some software particularly useful for those (anyone remember
Derive? It was a dos software and it saved my behind quite a lot in
high school and college, but I am not even sure it is available any
more, and it was too powerful for some things).
I want to devote a few minutes to this in my presentation, but I am
having trouble finding material that is not just based on my own
experience.
Any input is more than welcome.
Cheers
-B