[Blindmath] Performing calculations as a blind students, tips, tricks and advice for the NFB Youth Slam

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Wed Jul 13 01:57:54 UTC 2011

Hello Birker, it is certainly possible to solve algebraic equations using
Latex notation, but that is pretty verbose and clumsy.  As is just about
every other standard notation.  Most blind people who have to do this sort
of thing seem to invent their own shorthand. Even people who work in braille
often use shortcuts instead of official Nemeth.

For years after losing my sight, I used an abbreviated form of Latex for
working out algebraic equations.  It worked but was pretty clumsy.  My group
developed WinTriangle with the purpose of reducing notation to a minimum,
and I used that for a while too.  It was really nice, having single
keystrokes for many common symbols such as Greek letters, integral sign,
raised symbols for superscripts, dropped symbols for subscripts, etc.  It
was the most compact way I have ever seen for writing math on a computer.
Unfortunately, Triangle also had disadvantages, and they have meant that it
is no longer a viable thing with modern OS.  ChattyInfty is not quite as
compact as WinTriangle, but it is pretty close.  I would recommend it as the
best alternative that I know for writing and developing math equations on a
computer.  Among other benefits, you can cut, copy, and paste parts of
equations.  And copy them into separate files for pasting in a number of
times.  That's a great advantage when working with complicated equations.

Good luck with your tutorial.

John