[Blindmath] Performing calculations as a blind students, tips, tricks and advice for the NFB Youth Slam

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Jul 13 14:27:50 UTC 2011

I'm not blind, and it has been almost 50 years since I received my
engineering degrees, but I have been mentoring a blind STEM student for a
couple of years and I have some unconventional suggestions.

The first suggestion is the use of the Google calculator for performing
calculations. My student does well with it using a screen reader and a USB
Braille display. If I were a physics or engineering student, blind or
sighted, I would consider it to be a major asset. One of its main strengths
is its ability to accept and use units such as meters, newtons, Joules, etc.

My biggest complaint is that when it displays an exponent, it uses a
superscript character instead of "^x" and I don't know how that character
plays in screen readers and Braille displays. Here is an example of what I
mean by that.

Input:
6 m/sec^2/3

Output
*(6 (m / (sec^2))) / 3 = 2 m / s2*
In case you can't read it, the final two characters in the output are a
lower-case "s" followed by the exponent "2". Perhaps someone should lobby
Google to make the output from the calculator totally accessible to blind
students.

My other suggestion has to do with the use of JavaScript. With a rudimentary
knowledge of JavaScript programming, a blind student can write scripts to
solve algebra, trigonometry, physics, and engineering problems. In addition
to providing an accessible way to perform the calculations, this approach
also gives students the opportunity to organize their thoughts and organize
the solution to the problem in a beneficial way.

My blind physics student does very well with this approach also.

By using these two tools, my blind physics student doesn't have any
difficulty performing the calculations necessary to solve physics problems.
Her main difficulty is understanding the requirements of the problem as a
result of an inaccessible physics textbook.

If you are interested in more information on this, see

http://cnx.org/content/col11294/latest/

Dick Baldwin

--
Richard G. Baldwin (Dick Baldwin)
Home of Baldwin's on-line Java Tutorials

Professor of Computer Information Technology
Austin Community College
(512) 223-4758
mailto:Baldwin at DickBaldwin.com
http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/