[Blindmath] Performing calculations as a blind students, tips, tricks and advice for the NFB Youth Slam

James McCarthy jmccart at lbph.lib.md.us
Thu Jul 14 13:47:09 UTC 2011

Susan,
Let me preface this by saying I am one of those who took only as much math
as I was required to... "math for historians." Also, many teachers of the
blind discouraged use of a slate and stylus for math equations. One way a
slate and stylus is not like pencil and paper is that the writing is not
easily visible. To read what has been written, one must turn over the paper,
which would lead one in many cases to keep the material in the head or prove
something of a distraction. I am not aware of blind people who used a slate
and stylus for math, though perhaps there are some. A Braille Writer gives
the most direct view of what has been written and I think use of an abacus
probably is also a really good way for blind people to learn. I had minimal
instruction using one, though if I were working with a blind elementary
school student, I would introduce it early in the process.
Jim McCarthy