[Blindmath] Availability of college level math text books in Braille, sufficient to recommend it as something to check?

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:48:59 UTC 2011

Hi all

The Youth Slam lecture construction has certainly drawn my attention
to various issues I had not thought off previously (a god thing, I
suppose).
One such is whether to even suggest inquiring through APH, National
Braille Press or others for hardcopy versions of math text books in
Braille.
For one thing I have a calculus braille book 800 pges print, in 3
boxes and need our storage space to keep boxes I amnot using, so this
is very impractical.
For another, I simply do not know if there s sufficient quantity
available of books to suggest students try this.
Either way I am listing it as a last resort, behind elecronic files
from Publishers, InftyReader scanning of hard or electronic files,
using readers and checking with RFB&D (Learning Ally) and Bookshare.

If anyone has any comments on this, I'd be happy to see 'em.
Thanks
-Birkir
p.s. great discussion threat on how to perform transformations and
calculations, I will incorporate all suggestions into the eventual
presentation.