[Blindmath] Students Should Know Their Legal Rights

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 02:38:54 UTC 2011

Susan

Good points.
I guess an interesting piece of work is to figure out how students
should best notify people of their accessibility difficulties, who and
how.
It's important that the publishers know about the issues students are
having, mostly for future considerations when Epub3 standard for
eBooks emerges. I talked to a few publisher representatives at a large
conference in New York in February, and they're all interested in
MathML technology for displaying math and science content, but their
issue has been the lack of support from different browsers and other
hardware such as eReaders.
So we have to deal with a lot of chicken and egg problems in the business.
Do we go after the iBooks app, the Kindle, the Nook, the publishers
for these books or after the universities. Within the universities, do
we just talk to our DSS contact, should we make the professors of our
courses aware, should we go to the dean, or whoever is in charge of
funding the DSS office, should we even go up to the Department of
Education to explain our case.
The reason I really want publishers to stay aware of our needs is the
transition to the world of eBooks. I fear that if we're left behind in
this transition, we won't see marked improvements for years to come.
It is a huge overhead to prepare materials especially for us, one
which a commercial enterprise in stiff competition, dealing with
copyright issues, piracy, shrinking demand etc, is not likely to put
much priority on, even if they wanted to. But if our needs can be
factorred in as an additional weight to one of the choices they have
about their future developments, standardization and foray into the
eBooks market. If they are aware of what MathML (which can be viewed
as LaTeX, for instance through MathType), may help open access to as
much as 15% of the consumers (people with print disabilities), I want
that message to be sent out loud and clear.
If anyone has good ideas about a reasonable strategy that a student
can use to make complaints (or to give crdit where credit's due), who
to talk to, and in what order, I'd be very interested to throw that
into my presentation.
Thanks guys, tremendous discussions all round.
I'll give some thought ot the student rights issue. I have seen
tid-bits here and there, and I have a lot of web resources. I'll dig.
If I can't find anything, may be this is something we can add to A2S
going forward.
Thanks
-B