[Blindmath] What to do when a US college DS office refuses to provide braille when requested

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 20 03:15:10 UTC 2011

Amanda,

ADA basically says that blind students must be accorded an equal educational
opportunity.  Getting poor quality materials and/or late materials is not
equal opportunity.  Given that you seem to have already had some negative
experiences, this might be the time to start working with your regional ADA
Center. Now that you are aware of your rights you need to be proactive.

Based on my understanding of our legal system from watching TV, I imagine
that if you were to claim that brailled materials you were provided were of
such poor quality that you couldn't use them and the defense were to claim
otherwise, then expert witnesses would be brought in to evaluate the
materials.

Please keep us posted on your experiences and let us know if you have any
advice for other students.

Susan