[Blindmath] What is the accessibility level of CourseSmart online books?

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Wed Jul 27 03:34:17 UTC 2011

Another source of online books for students is CourseSmart. Here is a link
to their accessibility page:
http://instructors.coursesmart.com/accessibility

(I was unable to get a link without the word instructor. Apparently they
have a cookie on my machine that tells them who I am whenever I go to their
website and forwards me to the instructor side of the website. If that link
doesn't work for you, just Google them.)

They have a different business model from Safari. As I understand it,
students rent online books from CourseSmart for 180 days at a price that is
below the new purchase price of the book. If sufficiently accessible, this
model might work well for a student that needs only one or two books at any
given time. For example, the book titled "Intermediate Algebra, Eleventh
Edition" claims to sell for about $163 and rents online for about $65 for
180 days.

I believe that you can create an account and preview lots of online books
for free, including the one that I mentioned above.

Perhaps someone should take a look at this site and see if it would work for
blind STEM students.

Dick Baldwin

--
Richard G. Baldwin (Dick Baldwin)
Home of Baldwin's on-line Java Tutorials

Professor of Computer Information Technology
Austin Community College
(512) 223-4758
mailto:Baldwin at DickBaldwin.com
http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/