[Blindmath] What is the accessibility level of CourseSmart online books?

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 16:53:00 UTC 2011

Hi all

I did some testing with CourseSmart a few months back. Their web site
has some accessibility issues, one of which was fixed shortly after I
pointed it out.
The book I tried was in html format, quite readable and I was happy
with it, even happier with their willingness to accept and act on
feedback.
At that time they did not use MathML for encoding math objects and I
pointed out this was a big problem for students in STEM fields. I
believe they've had further input from guys like Steve Noble (who
subscribes to this list, but may be on well earnt vacation) as part of
the STEPP program (AMAC in Georgia teemed up with them to make
CourseSmart accessible), so I still have hopes that either this has
changed, or will change in the near future.
As always, it will require feedback from actual users wanting to
download and read the books to help push that process along, so
definitely try it, and let them know if the math is still not working
out.
-Birkir