[Blindmath] NFB NABS: STEPP/CourseSmart Mainstream Accessible eTextBooks Presentation

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Sat Jun 4 19:26:44 UTC 2011

This is truly a great resource. It gives instant access to books at a
reduced price, and they seem committed to accessibility, largely I believe
due to the work of Kevin Chao.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with STEM books. I tried it with an advanced
statistics book and was disappointed. I printed several pages as pdf files
using PDFill PDF Editor (another great program, discovered by Roopakshi),
converted them to LaTeX with InftyReader, then opened them in Duxbury 10.4
and saved them as brf files. The LaTeX output was garbled, causing garbling
of the Braille too.

Course Smart provides 14-day free trials of books, so if anyone wants to
experiment with them it will cost nothing. Can anyone think of workarounds
for this? Am I missing a step somewhere? Can you imagine how amazing it'd be
if we could have instant access to all books, not just non-STEM material?

Sarah