[Blindmath] NFB NABS: STEPP/CourseSmart Mainstream Accessible eTextBooks Presentation

Kevin Chao kevinchao89 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 23:44:14 UTC 2011

CourseSmart hasn't always been accessible, but work started before I
found out about them, and incredible improvements have been made in
the past 8 months. The accessibility is as  a result of feedback and
commitment from multiple parties.

STEM is a difficult area, especially when it comes to accessible
textbooks, material, and tools. Fortunately, part of STEPP grant, has
goal of accessible STEM eTextBooks. I'm very much pushing, advocating,
and pressuring for this to succeed.

Challenge is implementation, best user interface, and user experience.

It would be great to know your thoughts on how STEPP could best
present STEM eTextBooks.

There are a variety of possibilities, such as HTML5, ePub 3.0, MathML,
and LaTeX.

However, it would be great to have input on what you would like.

Ideally, it would work multi-OS, multi-browser, and multi-screen reader.

Kevin