[Blindmath] Proposal for making math more accessible

Paul Wright paulrite at math.umd.edu
Mon Jun 6 00:11:19 UTC 2011

Hi Ken,

You raise some good issues, as did Kevin Chao in his e-mail yesterday
evening.  I don't know about Octave, but Maple absolutely will give you
LaTeX output if you ask for it.  MATLAB, which I use extensively, will
give you LaTeX-formatted output on demand.

My main point is that there is already a standard in the world of
serious mathematics, science, and technology for writing math equations
in ASCII code.  The standard is TeX, often seen through its variants.
(For example, from the website of MacKichan Software, the makers of
Scientific WorkPlace, "In Scientific WorkPlace, you can typeset complex
technical documents with LaTeX, the industry standard for mathematics
typesetting. Because of its superior precision and quality, publishers
and writers of scientific material use LaTeX extensively.")  Trying to
use anything other than TeX automatically cuts you off from the vast
majority of the technical writing done today.

The biggest difficulty in trying to make STEM documents accessible is to
get everyone in the technical writing world to use one standard, and
that problem is already solved.  I know that for more basic mathematics,
such as 3x+5=12, Microsoft Word is used by some individuals, but it is
never used by publishers or serious technical writers.  Furthermore, I
don't think basic algebra equations are what we are really discussing,
and for the more complicated stuff, Word is just not used.

The second difficulty is that this standard, TeX, was designed for
converting the ASCII code people write into pretty images, which are not
accessible.  However, in the earlier '90s, T. V. Raman developed AsTeR,
and later Emacspeak, which converts LaTeX documents into speech in an
intelligible way.  So, the second problem is also solved.

What remains?  Well, the documents generated using TeX that are
distributed currently obliterate the ASCII code used to generate the
equations, and replace them by images.  I am no expert in this area, but
I don't think it would be that hard to modify the process so that these
images retain tags with the original ASCII code.  The software makers
would have to do this, but, once done, the end users would not even know
the difference.  Everyone could make accessible documents without even
knowing it!

Finally, a plug-in for screen reading software programs, based on AsTeR
would be needed to decode the embedded tags into speech.  Again, this is
not a trivial issue, but I don't think it is too hard.

I'm afraid that efforts to make STEM documents accessible that don't use
TeX as their starting point are unfortunately destined to leave us in a
separate and very unequal world.

Best,

Paul