[Blindmath] volume of rotational solids (calculus)

Salisbury, Justin Mark SALISBURYJ08 at students.ecu.edu
Tue Mar 8 21:59:17 UTC 2011

Hi Alex,

    Are you taking Calculus II?  If so, I'm pretty sure that they aren't expecting you to integrate any functions that are undefined.  I'm pretty sure you'll be integrating continuous functions.  If you're asking how to know which bound lies inside the other one, that's generally a matter of a distance from the axis of rotation.  I hope that you can mentally conceptualize which functions lie inside other ones.  Otherwise, you'll have to use a distance formula to the axis of rotation for points on each equation.  If you just have the understanding that you're calculating the distance between two or more equations and then rotating it to turn area into volume, you should have a thorough enough understanding of what you're doing.  If you want to contact me off-list for humorous real-life examples, feel free.  Sighted mathematicians really only use sketches to help themselves understand what they're doing.  Many advanced mathematicians never even draw the functions before beginning their computations.  I think you'll be just fine as long as you know that you're accomplishing and know which functions lie inside the others.

Good luck!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Undergraduate Student
The University Honors Program
East Carolina University
salisburyj08 at students.ecu.edu

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."    -Aristotle