[Blindmath] volume of rotational solids (calculus)

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 22:32:49 UTC 2011

Yes, calc 2, and yes, only continuous functions. The problem is that,
sometimes, there is a region that is undefined for the function. If
you have some exponential, call it e^x, from x=0 to x=2 rotated about
the y-axis, there is a region shaped like a bowl that you must account
for by subtracting it out. For a more complex equation, imagining the
shapes is not so easy, so I could not just know that there is a region
whose area must be subtracted out. I am looking for a non-graphing way
to do this. After all, as you said, sketches are just a visualization
tool; functions should not need to be sketched to be worked with.