[Blindmath] volume of rotational solids (calculus)

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 23:56:24 UTC 2011

Well, the quiz will tell how well I understand it... <smile>
What do you mean by "distance equation"? It may be an obvious
question, but calc1 was three years ago and math between then and now
has been linear algebra, history of math, proof techniques, and other
topics not related to calc and graphing. My major is computer science,
I just find all this calc stuff to be extremely interesting. Anyway,
this sounds promising!

On 3/8/11, Salisbury, Justin Mark <SALISBURYJ08 at students.ecu.edu> wrote:
> You explain it very well.  It almost looks like you understand everything.
>
> I think the key that you're missing is that you need to find the distance
> between each equation and the axis of rotation.  Find any random point on
> one of the equations, and then find the distance between that equation and
> the axis of rotation.  Next, you'll need to find the equation of the line
> from that point that is perpendicular to the axis of rotation.  Find the
> point where that line intersects the other equation, and use the distance
> formula to find its distance from the axis of rotation, and use the one with
> the shorter distance as your inner r and the one with the longer distance as
> your outer r.  This takes longer than looking at it on a graphing
> calculator, but it's guranteed to work as long as the equations do not cross
> each other.
>
> Eventually, you will start using equations that cross each other.  At that
> point, you will have to do a piecewise analysis where you start a new
> interval at each intersection.
>
> Justin M. Salisbury
> Undergraduate Student
> The University Honors Program
> East Carolina University
> salisburyj08 at students.ecu.edu
>
> "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
> without accepting it."    -Aristotle

>>> doing.  If you want to contact me off-list for humorous real-life