[Blindmath] [Nfb-science] using the stats program R

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 17:42:39 UTC 2011

Hi Cheryl,

Before answering your question, I would want to mention that you might like to post your question on blindmath list as well. A lot of R enthusiasts are present on that list including myself.
One another thing, you also might like to google for the terms "R for blind users"

Yes, you can use R for statistical analysis. The catch here is that at present, you need to use the command line version of R called "rTerm.exe" that can be found in the same directory as the GUI version.
C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.1\bin\i386
You can edit the desktop shortcut  that points to the GUI version to bring up R command line.

R GUI is accessible to some extent and you can explore dialog boxes and menus with your screen reader. The developers are always willing to do more work to make the GUI version completely accessible, but I'm not sure that's possible since it is written in TCL/ TK that is a native Linux user interface and generates no accessibility events for Windows based screen readers.

If you use R terminal, you are not going to have a spreadsheet like interface to browse data. I'm still investigating alternative user interfaces that have this functionality and are accessible.

Finally, when you enter the code to generate a graph, a new window pops up containing the wanted graph, but for obvious reasons the window can't be explored.
The only thing you can do is to save the graph as an SVG and view it with tactile viewers or embossers.