[Blindmath] Hello

Michael Chen m11chen at gmail.com
Thu May 5 03:33:54 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to this list and ask for some suggestions.

I am a university student who recently lost my sight in an accident.
Previously, as a sighted student, I studyed Physics and Aerospace
Engineering at the University of California, San Diego.  I have been
completely blind since three years ago, whence I started to learn to use the
computer again with the help of a screen reader.  I have used JAWS, but
currently my primary screen reader is the open-source NVDA.  I don't know
how to breil, but I would like to learn maybe in the near future.

I am planning on returning to the university in Fall of this year to finish
my degrees, but as I am now blind, I need some help in finding the right
assistive software for my technical fields of study.  I have done some
research on LaTeX, and this seems to be what most are suggesting for
replacing traditional pencil and paper for the presentation and manipulation
of mathematical formulae which can easily be compiled into the more readable
and visually acceptable formats to exchange printed contents with sighted
students and professors.

Can anyone suggest a good and user friendly LaTeX editor which works well
with NVDA and can also convert and print out easily readable math content?
Also, what would be a good place to start, either website or book or some
other documentation, that I can get my feet wet learning the basics of
LaTeX?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
mike