[Blindmath] Accessible display format for matrices

Ben Humphreys brh at opticinspiration.org
Tue Nov 15 14:26:14 UTC 2011

I have a textbook in PDF format that made use of the theta character,
which JAWS glossed over without pronouncing.

Once I selected that character and added it to the dictionary, it's
been reading quite nicely ever since.

So don't be afraid from using special unicode characters, since JAWS
can have its custom dictionary modified to read them quite nicely.

The only downside I see to this is the difficulty of inserting such
characters when creating new content and the difficulty of
representing them in plain ASCII text in a Notepad type
application.  Here the  | wins hands down over a more elaborate
unicode character.

Ben